July 9, 2016

Back to School: Summer Projects Week 2

Back to School Summer Challenge Week 2 



This is the second week of my Back to School: Summer Projects. I started this personal challenge in order to get all the projects that I leave off for summer. Also because I'm all over the place with my ideas. I have come to the hard realization that I lack commitment to start and finish something. They are all great ideas but, I hardly ever finish one. When I do, its always in a rush and then I think of the 100 ways I could have done in an efficient way. Moving on forward, I am in a mission to get it all together.

I started the organizing journey with a calendar and after reading 400 ways to get organized I decided to go simple with a plain notebook. Yep! Because, I get to caught up in the pretty Target Dollar Spot To Do List and journals. At the end, I barely get anything done. I decided to skip that and just go straight at it without all the cuteness of notebooks. Even though I'm bummed out about not having a cute to do list, I have gotten things done! And that's what counts, no? 

 I realized that as I sit down to do a daily goal list  the more ideas and projects come up. The list is getting longer day by day. What I find hilarious is that my daily to do list has 50 projects and I only get to scratch off two or three things a day. Many things get carry over but, I must remember I can do anything just not everything.


Project # 7: Sort Books 


Summer Project Challenge: Sort Books

By the way this week's  back to school summer projects have been very hands on. First off, I started the week tackling my classroom. One of the biggest area of improvement is my classroom library. This is just a hot mess! I am ashamed to say that I had to put it aside because between the amount of books and the one million things going on during the school, I became overwhelm. I decided before starting anything in the classroom, I would tackle the classroom library. This upcoming year, I will have more older kids than younger kids. This would be the last three year cycle for most of my students. As I was looking at the books, I wanted to bring in more chapter books and put some picture books away. This was a heavy task all on its own but, manageable at the end of the week. Trying to fix my books led me to a whole research on how to level books and all books things. It got pretty crazy! At the end, I decided to just sort my books by author and then later on move on to leveling them. Leveling is another BIG back to school summer project all of its own. I needed a quick fix for now and something to start with. Here is the process in pictures:



Here are all my books stored in boxes!

I used the floor title to sort. Each tile was a letter.

I used sticky notes until I print my labels for the boos.

Favorite part was seeing the books in some type of order!

Very happy with the outcome so far!


Project # 8: Back to School Medals 

















So far the next back to school summer project was a two for one deal. I have been inspired to do a welcome celebration for my classroom. This will be my third year with them and we are sort of over the whole anticipation of the first day back. I want to bring that excitement back by setting the stage! I decided to go for an Olympic welcome back theme. The preparations are still a secret but, I will sure show you the outcome as the time nears. Here's a sneak peak at the medals they will be receiving at the end of the day. I'm stocked to see them wearing these east to do medals. I made one for myself as well. It sure will surprise them! You can grab these east cut and print medals at my store here


Project # 9 Peace Flag 




I had lots of fun making another back to school summer project- the Peace flag. Ever since my training I have been wanting this flag. There are many versions of the peace flag. I decided to go with the dove because it is such a symbolic symbol for peace and it only requires one color. Peace flags can range anywhere from $10.00 to $15.99. Total price for mines was $3.00! 



Super easy and durable to make. If you want to join in the fun, you will need: 


  1. Blue fabric ( I got less than a yard, I saved the rest for other projects) 
  2. White Acrylic Paint
  3. Dove Stencil ( google dove coloring page and print image in cardstock paper) 
  4. Pencil 
  5. Paint Brush 
  6. Dowel Stick ( not flimsy, just a good weight) 
  7. Super glue 
  8. Stapler 



I have to tell you a secret! I love to eyeball a lot of my back to school summer projects. I'm not one to measure till my second try! Sorry, if I'm not giving you concrete measurements. But, the project itself is not that hard, I promise. 




I purchase at Michael's an American flag and used the stick for my peace flag. The sail from the original flag I used as a template to measure how big I wanted my sail for the peace flag to be. Before cutting print the dove on card stock and cut. I placed it on top of the American flag sail just to make sure it was going to fit and it did! Next, I traced the sail onto my blue fabric. Use a fabric pencil or trace light so you won't see your markings later on.Then, I cut my sail using the markings. I got the dowel stick and stapled the sail to it. Three staples to be exact! After the skeleton of the flag was done, I painted my dove using white acrylic paint. I put on two coats and left it to dry overnight. The next day, I noticed that the flag at the top was coming off. So, I put a little bit of super glue at the top and bottom to make sure it would stick! Voila! I'm a proud owner of a peace flag. 

What back to school summer projects are you working on this summer? 


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...